Green Tools & Resources
Get more information with the following tools.
Free Carbon Calculator Estimates the Benefits of Wood Buildings
Wood products continue to store carbon absorbed by the trees while growing, keeping it out of the atmosphere indefinitely. Using wood in place of fossil fuel-intensive materials such as steel and concrete also greenhouse gases that would have been emitted during manufacturing.
The WoodWorks Carbon Calculator makes it possible to quantify these benefits for wood buildings. The Calculator estimates the amount of carbon stored in a building's wood products and the amount of greenhouse gas emissions avoided by eliminating steel and concrete. Start Carbon Calculator.
This free tool complements the WoodWorks Cost Comparison Calculator, which provides a current comparison of building material costs.
Free EcoCalculator Provides Instant LCA Results
Designers use the EcoCalculator for a quick snapshot of building footprint. This simple tool is equipped with pre-defined building assemblies that have already been assessed by the Athena team through the Athena Impact Estimator. For projects that fit with the EcoCalculator’s built-in library of assemblies, this tool gives designers the power of the Impact Estimator in less time.
The EcoCalculator is available in a residential version (originally developed to support APA's Carbon Challenge) and a commercial version. It is customized for various North American regions. The commercial version is additionally customized for high-rise and low-rise.
Get the ATHENA EcoCalculator.
APA's environmental brochure, Wood: Sustainable Building Solutions (Form F305), describes the environmental benefits of engineered wood products, compares wood to other structural products, and explains scientific research that demonstrates wood's green building merits.
This brochure is available as a free PDF download at www.apawood.org/publications.
APA offers a set of four educational posters that demonstrate why wood is a great green building product. The posters, Wood: Nature's Air Purifier (Form E250), Wood: More Product, Less Energy (Form E255), Wood: Better Mileage on the Green Highway (Form E260), and Wood: Demand Keeps It Growing (Form E265), offer different informative facts about the environmentally friendly nature of wood. Each 18 x 27 poster can be purchased individually for $3 or the set of four can be purchased for $10 at the poster section of apawood.org. Previews of the poster content are also available.
- Athena Sustainable Materials Institute
- BEES (Building for Environmental and Economic Sustainability) software
- Building and Fire Research Laboratory
- CORRIM (Consortium for Research on Renewable Industrial Materials)
- Dovetail Partners, Inc.
- Evergreen Foundation
- Forest Stewardship Council
- Forintek - Canada's Wood Products Research Institute
- The Green Building Initiative (Green Globes program)
- McKinsey & Company: Sustainability & Resource Productivity
- National Green Building Standard ICC-700-2008 (NAHB/ANSI)
- reThink Wood
- Society of American Foresters
- Temperate Forest Foundation
- U.S. Green Building Council
- WoodWorks Online Calculators
Green Building Fact Sheets:
• Trends in Wood Buildings (213 KB PDF)
• Wood and Green Building - Why using wood from North American forests is a sustainable choice (217 KB PDF)
• U.S. Wood Products - Good for jobs, rural communities and the environment (220 KB PDF)
CORRIM (Consortium for Research on Renewable Industrial Materials) fact sheets:
• Maximizing Forest Contributions to Carbon Mitigation, Fact sheet 5 (416 KB PDF)
• Product and Process Environmental Improvement Analysis for Buildings, Fact sheet 6 (166 KB PDF)
Wood and Green Building fact sheets produced by the Wood Promotion Network:
• LEED® vs. Green Globes™, Form WP G330 (778 KB PDF)
• Home Builder Guidelines, Form WP G335 (769 KB PDF)
• The Role of Life Cycle Assessment, Form WP G340 (901 KB PDF)
• Using Wood to Fight Climate Change, Form WP G345 (773 KB PDF)
Wood: Sustainable Building Solutions, Form F305 (3 Mb)