Publicity: APA Products & Applications in News and Literature
APA staff members have made significant contributions to a variety of articles on research, education and product promotion. Build your knowledge through these recent articles:
- The February 2010 issue of Structural Engineering & Design magazine featured the article "Wind-resistant wood design innovations", authored by APA's Bryan Readling, P.E., and Ed Keith, P.E. The article recounts how Hurricane Hugo, which struck in 1989, has impacted common design practices. Much has changed in the past 20 years to improve constructability and structural performance of buildings subject to high winds.
- A 12-page APA Special Report in the July 2009 edition of BPD/Merchant Magazine featured articles on the market outlook, green building legislation, PS 1 and PS 2 Product Standard updates, raised floor promotion, and the APA Product Support Help Desk.
- APA contributed to "8 tips for specifying and installing glulam beams" - an article that appeared in the March 2009 edition of Building Design and Construction.
- The Fall 2008 issue of Wood Design and Building featured a cover article on the Cathedral of Christ the Light, a massive glulam and glass structure in Oakland, California. Written by APA’s Karyn Beebe and Paul Gilham of Western Wood Structures, the six page article examined how engineers used innovative computer modeling backed by field tests to achieve the high strength and ductility requirements for a building located less than eight miles from a major fault zone.
- “Investigating the I-joist: The heart of the engineered wood floor” - APA’s Dave Birmingham authored this article on I-joist floor systems used in commercial construction. Engineered wood products continue to be a great value in commercial and multifamily floors, where end users face the dilemma of higher costs, product scarcity, and design flexibility. The article appears in the September 2008 issue of Construction Canada.
- A one-page APA news release compared performance panel costs and green attributes to other industrial materials in an August 2008 online news edition of Material Handling Management.
- "Framing Red Flags" - APA authored this article in the July 2008 issue of The Journal of Light Construction which recommends strategies for avoiding several common framing and sheathing errors.
- A July 2008 story in the Bangor Daily News regarding the fourth International Conference on Advanced Engineered Wood and Hybrid composites featured APA.
- APA contributed three articles to a July 2008 BPD/Merchant Magazine special section on engineered wood.
- “Engineered Wood used in Formwork“ - APA contributed to this seven-page article in the June 2008 edition of Concrete International that examined the use of structural composite lumber in concrete formwork.
- The Cathedral of Christ the Light in Oakland, California was the subject of an article co-authored by APA that appeared in the June 2008 issue of Structural Engineer, entitled “The ultimate engineering challenge: Modern timber structure achieves demanding seismic and architectural design.”
- APA authored the eight-page article "Fire-rated Wood Construction" in the May 2008 issue of Construction Specifier, the official magazine of the Construction Specifications Institute. The article covered IBC code requirements for protected, heavy timber and treated construction systems.
- A two-page story in the May 2008 edition of BPD/Merchant Magazine discussed an APA/SFPA/CWC floor survey which showed that a majority of consumers prefer wood framed floors.
- The article "Importance of Structural Wall Coverings in Wind Design and Wood Structural Panel Solutions" was authored by APA for the Spring 2008 issue of Wood Design Focus.
- APA authored a one page Q & A in the April 2008 edition of Wood Digest, focusing on the positive economic outlook for international, industrial and nonresidential markets.
- In the March 2008 issue of Structural Engineer, an APA-authored article provided guidelines for installing sprinklers with APA PRI Joists.
- “Using Wood for Sustainable Design + Construction” - APA contributed photos, statistics and quotes to this special AIA continuing education report in the February 2008 edition of Building Design and Construction.
- APA authored a two-page article in the January 2008 issue of Fire Protection Contractor that offered guidelines for installing sprinklers with APA PRI Joists.
- “OSB on the Roof”, an editorial response written by APA regarding the moisture performance of OSB, appeared in the January 2008 issue of The Journal of Light Construction.
- In the January 2008 edition of Extreme How-To, APA authored a six-page article on building a Garden Storage Shed, an APA Handy Plan given new life in the author’s backyard.
- APA co-authored a five-page article on the mold resistance of adhesives used in wood composite products in the December 2007 issue of Forest Products Journal. Tests concluded that none of the adhesives were significantly more susceptible to mold growth than southern pine or aspen sapwood.
- The August 2007 issue of Concrete Construction featured a three-page article, entitled "Getting More Out of Plywood Forms," authored by APA Senior Engineer Fulton Desler. The article discusses the development of new calculations that will significantly increase allowable load capacities of plywood forms. Desler authored a second article in this issue, available online only, entitled "Some Imported Concrete Form Panels Fail to Meet Grade."
- "APA Special Report" in July 2007 issues of both The Merchant Magazine and Building Products Digest. This 25-page section includes articles on import panel tests, market forecasts, PS 1-07, a recap of APA's 75-year history, dealer training and the Wood Product Council's commercial market objective.
- "Introduction to Wall Bracing" in Summer 2007 issue of Licensed Architects. This five-page article featured a continuing education course.
- "Wood Makes a Statement" in June 2007 issue of School Planning & Management. This five-page article features Gunter Primary School, a wood-framed school in the suburbs of Dallas.
- Article on California Air Resources Board's (CARB) new formaldehyde emissions regulation in June 2007 issues of both The Merchant Magazine and Building Products Digest. This one-page article discusses APA's concern over the CARB's ability to enforce formaldehyde standards equally among import and domestic panel manufacturers.
- APA authored an article on wall bracing for the Canadian commercial construction market in May 2007 issue of Construction Canada. This six-page article features APA photos from Hurricane Katrina and illustrations from APA publications.
- APA presented results of its performance tests conducted on imported concrete forms in Concrete Today, a special section in the May 2007 issue of Engineering News Record.
- "New Opportunities for Fiber Reinforced Glued Laminated Beams" in April 2007 Structure Magazine. APA co-authored this article on fiber reinforced polymer glulam beams.
- APA contributed to the article “3 Steps to Better Understanding Panelized Wood Roof Systems,” which appeared in the February 2007 issue of Building Design & Construction (BD+C). Panelized wood roofs have been used in commercial construction on the West Coast for more than 40 years, and are becoming increasingly popular in other parts of the U.S. and Canada.
- "Green Choices for Forming Concrete" in February 2007 Green Builder Magazine.
- "Wood Frame Construction: Challenges and Opportunities" in February 2007 Structural Engineer Magazine. APA's Ed Keith took part in a wide-ranging roundtable discussion focused on wood construction. Joining Ed were representatives from manufacturing and engineering firms.
- "Three Steps to Better Understanding Panelized Wood Roof Systems" in February 2007 Building Design and Construction Magazine. This three-page article on panelized roofs was based on APA's latest publication, Panelized Roofs, Form G630.
- "Testing Reveals Best Wood Roof Deck Systems to Resist Wind-Uplift" in Jan/Feb 2007 Western Roofing Magazine. This APA by-lined article discusses new wind classifications for plywood and OSB roof decks. The article features common assemblies from APA's Wind-Rated Roofs publication, Form G310.
- "SHEAR WALLS: Slender Pre-Fab Shear Panels" in November 2006 Builder News Magazine
- "Knock on Wood" in November 2006 California Builder Magazine
- "Selecting Engineered Wood" in July 2006 Extreme How-To
- "Wood Roof Decks and Wind Uplift" in June 2006 Construction Specifier
- "Bracing Narrow Garage Walls" in May 2006 Builder Magazine
- "Engineered lumber makers step it up" in March 23, 2006 Seattle Daily Journal of Commerce
- "Wood Structural Panels: Combining Uplift and Shear Resistance" in March 2006 Structure Magazine
- "Katrina Reports Offer Expert View of Wind Damage to Wood-Frame Buildings" in February 2006 Journal of Light Construction
- "Wood vs. Engineered Lumber" in January 2006 Professional Builder
Wind-resistant Wood Design Innovations
The February 2010 issue of Structural Engineering & Design magazine features an article authored by APA's Bryan Readling, P.E., and Ed Keith, P.E, that explores how the structural performance of buildings subject to high winds has improved since 1989's Hurricane Hugo.