APA Safety & Health Program
Excellence in safety, it has been said, is not a destination, but an ongoing journey requiring vigilance, focus and demonstrated commitment throughout the company.
This safety and health section of the APA website was established to encourage, inform and assist all APA members, and indeed the entire engineered wood products industry, on our collective journey to safety and health in the mill.
As individual companies and together as an industry we have no more important asset than our employees. We urge you to participate in this vital ongoing mill safety improvement effort—by joining our committee and bringing your insights and input to the table, by contributing and sharing safety alerts for the benefit of all, by entering the annual APA Mill Safety and Health Awards Competition, and, most importantly, by elevating safety to the highest priority in your company.
We welcome your suggestions on how this site can best serve our mutual goal of advancing mill safety.
--APA Safety and Health Advisory Committee
- Mike Wacker, Committee Chairman, Plum Creek
- Greg Ellisor, Weyerhaeuser
- Terry Evans, Boise Cascade Company
- Keith Harned, LP
- Mary McGreal, Potlatch Land & Lumber LLC
- Dwight Midles, Olympic Panel Products LLC
- Sam Newbill, Hood Industries, Inc.
- Peter Quosai, Norbord
- Randy Schillinger, Pacific Woodtech Corp.
- Terry Secrest, RoyOMartin
- Curtis Swindell, Jr., Abitibi–LP Engineered Wood Inc.
- Tom Natsch, Roseburg Forest Products
APA Staff Contacts
- John Hopp, Manager, Human Resources
- Steve Zylkowski, Director, Quality Services Division
The 2012 Safety Awards have been announced.
View the winners.
APA 2013 Annual Meeting Safety & Health Seminar Presentations
• Innovation in Safety Award Winner – Safety Mentor Program, presented by Donna Bailery SPHR, RoyOMartin, OSB Mill, Oakdale, Louisiana (PowerPoint, .6 Mb)
• Mobile Equipment and Pedestrian Safety, presented by Greg Ellisor CIH, CSP, Corporate Health and Safety Manager, Weyerhaeuser (PowerPoint, 1.6 Mb)
• Dealing with Combustible Dust, presented by Brad Carr, P.E., President, Integrated Environmental Solutions (IES) (PowerPoint, 7.3 Mb)
• OSB Fire Risk Mitigation Project, presented by Monica Lischka, Safety Manager, Weyerhaeuser (PowerPoint, .8 Mb)
APA 2013 Spring Safety & Health Seminar Presentations
• Real World Impacts of Global Harmonized System on SDS Management, Labels, and Hazcom Training Programs, presented by Jeff Stier MS, Director of Customer Relations, SiteHawk (PowerPoint, 1 Mb)
• Overview of OSHA Regulations, presented by Steve Hawkins, Administrator of Tennessee OSHA (PowerPoint, 5 Mb)