Glulam Beam and Header Applications
EWP Training Series: Module F
This presentation is a detailed introduction to the uses and specification of glulam for beams, headers and columns. Topics include glulam construction and anatomy, typical applications, appearance classifications, preservative treatments and finishing, notching, drilling and connection details, specifying beams and headers, and understanding the glulam trademark (grade stamp).
AIA HSW/LU available. You may obtain a certification of completion by clicking the "Get Certificate" option that will appear after viewing the entire video on this webpage. Do not navigate to YouTube if you require a certificate; downloadable certificates are unavailable on the YouTube platform.
Training objectives: Upon completing this course, students will be able to identify and describe:
- Basic glulam characteristics
- Balanced and unbalanced beams, when to specify each
- Appearance classifications
- Selecting and sizing stock beams
- Reading the grade stamp
- Recommended connection, notching and drilling practices
- Treated glulam and typical applications
- Factory and field applied stains/finishes
Approximate length: 73 minutes.