This three-part webinar series covers the 2018 IRC wall bracing provisions. The series begins with a one-hour introductory session covering load path, lateral forces and limitations to wall bracing. Additional sessions address related topics, including the simplified wall bracing method and bracing for higher seismic and wind zones.
Series presenters include Matthew Brown, Ron Nuttall and Warren Hamrick, APA Engineered Wood Specialists experienced in providing engineered wood product building and design support and recommendations. APA has collaborated with code bodies since the 1950s to improve wall performance and reduce the risk of catastrophic home failure through the development of prescriptive wall bracing techniques that specify plywood and OSB wood structural panel sheathing.
AIA and ICC credit is available to participants.
Wall Bracing I: IRC Load Path, Lateral Forces and Limitations
This is a recording of the original presentation given on September 15, 2020.
Part one covers:
• Horizontal forces acting on a house and how they are resisted
• Code-prescribed limitations to prescriptive wall bracing
• Introduction to braced wall lines
Presenter: Matthew Brown
Wall Bracing II: Meeting the IRC Bracing Provisions for Wind and Seismic
This is a recording of the original presentation given on September 22, 2020.
Part two begins with braced wall panel options and then goes through the steps to determine the required length of bracing for wind and, if required, seismic.
• Detail the 12 code prescribed intermittent bracing methods
• Detail the four code prescribed continuous bracing methods
• Determine required length of bracing and placement requirements
Presenter: Ron Nuttall
Wall Bracing III: Simplified Wall Bracing & APA Wall Bracing Calculator for the 2018 IRC
This is a recording of the original presentation given on September 29, 2020.
In part three we work through some examples using what we learned in parts one and two. We then review the IRC Simplified Wall Bracing, APA Simplified Wall Bracing and introduce the APA Wall Bracing Calculator.
• Apply the IRC Wall Bracing provision to example plans
• Understand both the IRC and APA simplified methods
• Input plan information into the APA Wall Bracing Calculator
Presenter: Warren Hamrick