This three-part webinar series covers the 2018 IRC wall bracing provisions. The series begins with a one-hour introductory session covering load path, lateral forces and limitations to wall bracing. Additional sessions address related topics, including the simplified wall bracing method and bracing for higher seismic and wind zones.
Series presenters include Matthew Brown, Ron Nuttall and Warren Hamrick, APA Engineered Wood Specialists experienced in providing engineered wood product building and design support and recommendations. APA has collaborated with code bodies since the 1950s to improve wall performance and reduce the risk of catastrophic home failure through the development of prescriptive wall bracing techniques that specify plywood and OSB wood structural panel sheathing.
AIA and ICC credit is available to participants.
Wall Bracing I: IRC Load Path, Lateral Forces and Limitations
September 15, 2020, 10-11 am Pacific
In part one we will cover the horizontal forces acting on a house and how they are resisted. We will also cover the code-prescribed limitations to prescriptive wall bracing. Our last topic of the day will be an introduction to braced wall lines.
• Horizontal forces acting on a house and how they are resisted
• Code-prescribed limitations to prescriptive wall bracing
• Introduction to braced wall lines
Presenter: Matthew Brown
Wall Bracing II: Meeting the IRC Bracing Provisions for Wind and Seismic
September 22, 2020, 10-11 am Pacific
In part two we begin with braced wall panel options and then go through the steps to determine the required length of bracing for wind and, if required, seismic.
• Detail the 12 code prescribed intermittent bracing methods
• Detail the four code prescribed continuous bracing methods
• Determine required length of bracing and placement requirements
Presenter: Ron Nuttall
Wall Bracing III: Simplified Wall Bracing & APA Wall Bracing Calculator for the 2018 IRC
September 29, 2020, 10-11 am Pacific
In part three we work through some examples using what we learned in parts one and two. We then review the IRC Simplified Wall Bracing, APA Simplified Wall Bracing and introduce the APA Wall Bracing Calculator.
• Apply the IRC Wall Bracing provision to example plans
• Understand both the IRC and APA simplified methods
• Input plan information into the APA Wall Bracing Calculator
Presenter: Warren Hamrick